Sam Harkins: What Safety Means to Me
Safety… What does it mean to me?
Safety is so much more than safety rules, policies and procedures.
- Maintaining a mindset of prioritizing personal safety which impacts the choices and actions we make regarding our personal safety along with everyone around us.
- A decision that we will make a commitment to maintain safety as our number one value. The definition of value is as follows: a person’s unwavering principles of standards of behavior and a person’s judgement of what is important in life.
- A commitment that we will consider our own personal safety, as well as the safety of our co-workers, when making decisions to provide the best and safest outcomes. This means that we are dedicated, devoted and obligated to the safety of ourselves and the ones around us.
- An obligation to be our brothers keeper by being willing to step up and challenge ourselves, co-workers, management, and even customers when safety is being compromised. This should be considered a moral obligation to ensure that we never “look the other way” when it comes to the safety of others.
- A constant in our lives. Whether you’re at work or at home, we should always choose safety as the number one factor in the way we live our lives. We can never allow safety to take a break, because it only takes a split second for a poor decision, overlooked hazard, or a distracted mind to result in a serious injury.
- An equal importance to Quality and Productivity. We must view safety as one leg of a three-legged stool with Quality and Productivity being the other two legs. When one of the legs fail, we fail in our commitment to ourselves, our families, our co-workers, our company and our customers.
This why I choose safety!!!
For more information on Versa’s safety culture and safety procedure, visit our Safety page here.